Saturday, February 9, 2013

School Room revisted

We recently reworked the school storage in our school room.  I am thrilled with the results.  I can more easily view and access our items.  I have increased our storage space and it has a more aesthetically pleasing appeal.

So, here is a little tour of our school room.


Above is our new storage unit.  Crafting supplies and manipulatives are on the top row.  Curriculum and workbooks are on the next row. The lower three shelves will be dedicated to educational toys.

The shelf on the left holds a few easily accessible educational toys that I plan on rotating out.  It also holds D's toys, Duplos, wooden building blocks, and our train set.  I like to keep building/creative type toys downstairs.


Welcome to my office.  This is my corner of the room.  I wish I had a more drawer space (one drawer just doesn't cut it).... but it is nice to have my office/work space in the school room with the children.  Not that it happens very often, but occasionally they will all be occupied and I can quickly pull up some additional resources on my computer (videos, answers to questions, music, etc.).


This is the schooling portion of the room.  The drawers hold the Es school work. Each child has a drawer stack.  We roughly use Sue Patrick's Workbox system.  Though, I think I need to tweak the way we use it soon.  I store the daily read-alouds, Bible, and memory verses in the crate on top of the drawers.  The bulletin board houses the calendar, house rules, and reminders about how the proper use of our tongues.  Most of the school work occurs at the table you see.  However, Big E has started doing some of his work at our kitchen table, in order to help him stay focused and prevent distraction from his siblings.  The middle drawers of the table hold crayons, stickers, and our small white boards. The upper small drawers on either side hold the Es pencil bags filled with essential school supplies and a notebook.  On the wall above and behind the school table is our magnetic strip used for displaying school work and crafts.

So that's it.  It is neat to see how our room has developed and changed over the years.  It is so nice to have a dedicated space to do our school in.  The room is technically the dining room of the house, but we have another space we use as our dining room.  I love that the room is attached to the kitchen so I can easily work in the kitchen to prepare snacks or lunch while the children are working.  We use the room during "non-school" hours.  I often find the Es drawing in their notebooks, building with one of our building toys, or playing with an educational toy.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment